(AscensionLifestyle.org) The pineal gland is one of the most mysterious glands of the human body. It is a pea-sized gland in the precise geometric center of the brain and comes from the root word “pinea” which is Latin for “pinecone”. It is responsible for the synthesis and secretion of the hormone melatonin. Melatonin maintains the body’s circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle), regulates the onset of puberty in females, helps protect the body from cell damage caused by free radicals and much, much more.
The pineal gland develops from the roof of the diencephalon, a section in your brain. Although it looks like a pine cone, when cut open it is very similar to an eye. Even more fascinating is that the interior of the pineal gland actually has retinal tissue composed of rods and cones inside its interior lining which are wired into the visual cortex in the brain. The photoreceptors of the retina strongly resemble the cells of the pineal gland. It even has vitreous fluid in it like an eye does and it still functions as a light receptor in some vertebrates. In many cultures it is spiritually referred to as the third eye, and science seems to agree!
Besides regulating sleep patterns and sexual development, many researchers believe that it has the ability to connect us to other dimensions like the dream world, spiritual realms such as deep meditation and astral travel and during near death experiences through the release of DMT. Dimethyltryptamine is a psychedelic compound of the tryptamine family. It occurs naturally in trace amounts in mammals, where it functions as a neurotransmitter, and is also produced in humans; however, its purpose in the brain remains in debate.
French Philosopher and Mathematician René Descartes, dedicating much time to the study of the pineal gland, called it the “principal seat of the soul”. He believed it to be the point of connection between the intellect and the body. It appears that the gland is the only section of the brain to exist as a single part rather than one-half of a pair. The gland is thought to be highly active during dreaming, meditation and spiritual experiences.
In the 1990s, a British scientist, Jennifer Luke, discovered that fluoride accumulates to strikingly high levels in the pineal gland. As a calcifying tissue that is exposed to a high volume of blood flow, the pineal gland is a major target for fluoride accumulation in humans. In fact, the calcified parts of the pineal gland (hydroxyapatite crystals) contain the highest fluoride concentrations in the human body, higher than either bone or teeth. Studies have found that calcified deposits in the pineal are associated with decreased numbers of functioning pinealocytes and reduced melatonin production as well as impairments in the sleep-wake cycle as well as potentially disrupting normal puberty function.
In the United States, children are reaching the age of puberty at earlier ages than in the past — a trend that carries huge social and health consequences. Evidence indicates that fluoride, through its effect on the pineal, could be a contributing cause to this trend. Fluoride exposure has been found to cause a decrease in the amount of circulating melatonin and lead to accelerated sexual maturation in females. In the first published fluoridation safety experiment in Newburgh, New York, the authors found that girls living in a fluoridated community reached puberty five months earlier than girls living in a non-fluoridated community. It was also reported that postmenarcheal girls were “present at younger ages in the higher fluoride town than in the low-fluoride town, although the reported median ages were the same.”
Calcification of the pineal gland is unfortunately typical in adults, and has been observed in children as young as 2 with estimates of 40% of Americans experiencing symptoms of heavy calcification of the pineal gland by the time they are 17. This means that an MRI or other scan would show a large lump of calcium phosphate on the gland as well as other parts of the body. Calcification of the pineal gland is largely associated with corpora arenacea (or “acervuli,” or “brain sand”).
Studies show that the degree of pineal gland calcification is significantly higher in patients with Alzheimer’s disease vs. other types of dementia. One such study published in the peer-reviewed Journal of NeurologyNeurosurgery and Psychiatry looks specifically at intracranial calcifications in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients.
After noticing that the brain’s primary structures were negatively affected by calcification, namely the pineal gland, a promising new hypothesis was formed.
Removing calcification from the brain could treat disease.
Another recent study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience shows evidence of a link between pineal calcification and its relationship to the fatigue of multiple sclerosis. Doctors and scientists already know that a lack of melatonin is linked to a plethora of health impairments including accelerated cancer cell proliferation and tumor growth (including leukemia), blood pressure instability, osteoporosis and depression.
Obviously there are vast scientific implications medically, but there are also long standing beliefs of many cultures showing that there are dire effects in the spiritual realm as well.
This calcification process is caused by constant exposure to substances like fluoride which build up in the body over time. Toothpaste, public water systems, hormones, food additives, excess sugar and sweeteners in your diet or even regular exposure to cell phones has been linked to the phenomenon of calcifying the pineal gland.
Once you have discovered or suspect that you are experiencing calcification of the pineal gland, there are methods you can take to help prevent further damage and reverse the damage you are already experiencing.
Benefits of Decalcification
Some of the many benefits of pineal decalcification include:
– Improved Sleep & Mental Health — When your body is producing adequate levels of melatonin you will fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. It has been reported that 80 percent of patients with depression suffer from poor-quality sleep and sleep changes can often exacerbate or signal a shift in mood (such as transitioning into mania). Some even consider bipolar disorder to be a circadian rhythm disorder outright. There is also some evidence that there is genetic overlap between mood disorders and circadian rhythm disruption.
– More Vivid dreams and Lucid Dreams — Since your pineal gland regulates your sleep cycles with melatonin, sleeping better in turn will allow you to dream more vividly and remember your dreams. If you so desire, you will also begin to access control in your dreams. This helps you to realize your infinite self and the incredible powers you have.
– Astral Projection Becomes Possible — Your third eye is what connects you to a plane of existence where time and space doesn’t exist. This connection allows you to transcend your physical body, or experience “out of body,” and astral travel across time and space. This means that with dedicated practice you can go anywhere in the universe, at anytime in the universe. (see article on Astral Projection)
– Improved Immune System— It is thought that much repair of the immune system occurs at night, therefore interacting with melatonin. When people are exposed to frequent artificial light and they do not get enough sleep melatonin levels are suppressed, as with calcification.
– Weight Maintenance— A new study by Spanish scientists suggests that reducing unhealthy weight gain can now be added to melatonin’s impressive roster of benefits. They found melatonin stimulates the appearance of ‘beige’ fat, which, similar to brown fat, is a heat-generating type of fat that helps your body to burn calories rather than store them. This, the researchers believe, may explain why melatonin helps control body weight, along with its metabolic benefits.
– Reduction in heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis— Newer areas of research surrounding melatonin include its role in heart and bone health. Specifically, research suggests it may have beneficial effects for heart disease, including reducing the severity of high blood pressure, limiting the frequency of heart failure and protecting against drug-related damage to the heart and may be useful for restoring imbalances in bone remodeling to prevent bone loss. Finally, recent research showed that people who secrete lower levels of melatonin have double the risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to those with the highest levels, suggesting a protective role for the hormone with this disease as well.
– Migraine Reduction— Research has shown that taking melatonin supplements before bed reduced the frequency of migraine headaches by half (or more) after three months.
– Increased Imagination and Creativity — Your third eye connects you to a spiritual plane of existence and access to universal consciousness. Since all problems already have a solution existing in the same place, with access to this, you will feel your imagination, creativity, and memory are super charged.
– Cancer Fighting— Peer-reviewed and published research has shown melatonin offers particularly strong protection against reproductive cancers. When melatonin makes its nightly rounds (its production peaks during the night), cell division slows. When this hormone latches onto a breast cancer cell, it has been found to counteract estrogen’s tendency to stimulate cell growth. In fact, melatonin has a calming effect on several reproductive hormones, which may explain why it seems to protect against sex hormone-driven cancers, including ovarian, endometrial, breast, prostate and testicular cancers. GreenMedInfo lists 20 studies demonstrating exactly how melatonin exerts its protective effects against breast cancer. But melatonin’s anti-cancer effects don’t stop there. While causing cancer cells to self-destruct, melatonin also boosts your production of immune-optimizing substances such as interleukin-2, which helps identify and attack the mutated cells that lead to malignant cancer.
So what can you do? Take immediate steps to stop further calcification!
From an article on med-health.net, here are some steps you can take:
In order to truly decalcify your pineal gland you will need to learn about substances that cause this phenomenon so you can avoid them. In general, lifestyle choices and diet are the primary causes of calcification.
|Halides include substances like bromide, fluoride and chlorine which are attracted to the pineal gland, encouraging calcium crystals to accumulate here. Fluoride is added to the water supply as well as many dental products like toothpaste. Switching to fluoride-free dental products and drinking filtered water can help avoid this problem.|
|Consuming excessive amounts of calcium from processed foods or overusing calcium supplements can cause calcium phosphate to build up in your system. Read the ingredients on such products to avoid getting an excessive amount of this chemical in your diet.|
|In addition to fluoride, the public water supply is filled with substances that are calcified which can cause harm. Drinking distilled or spring water can help you remove these substances from your water supply.|
|Mercury is poisonous and should be avoided to prevent a wide variety of negative health effects. Medical vaccines that are tainted with mercury, bottom feeding fish like prawns or shrimp, bigger fish like tuna or dolphins are all high risk sources for mercury. Consuming spirulina or chlorella can help to remove mercury from your body and brain tissue.|
|Chemical pesticides that are in meats or on vegetables can be toxic to the pineal gland. Consuming organic foods and working to consume many raw foods in your diet can help you avoid these substances. Some also opt to cut meat from their diet to prevent pesticide exposure.|
|Anything that is not found in nature, such as artificial sweeteners, phenylalanine, refined sugar, deodorants, E numbers, dental mouthwash, air fresheners, cleansers and others can be treated as a toxin by the body, leading to calcification.|
|S.C.A.T. refers to sugar, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco. These products drain the body’s energy and allow toxins to build up in the system. Cutting these from your life for at least two months can bring increased brain activity as well as an increase in activity from the pineal gland.|
As you can see, your pineal glad should be at the top of your list of your health priorities. Not only does it play a vital role in many of our bodies foundational functions, it is a doorway to higher consciousness and bliss. A vast majority of calcification is due to lifestyle choices and by simply becoming aware of and avoiding environmental toxins like fluoride and pesticides, by choosing healthy, organic foods and by choosing to participate in activities that calm the mind, body and soul, we have a very good chance of regaining much of our pineal function.
About the Author
Ascension Lifestyle Staff Writer Genevieve Elena
This article was originally published on AscensionLifestyle.org.